Locating the supercharger air intake within the passenger side front wheel arch has created a bit of an issue to ensure the air filter receives an adequate flow of air. It just so happens that my car had an air intake funnel located behind the front grille to direct air into the cabin air vent. So, I decided to re-purpose the opening.
Ever since I decided 2 years ago that I was going to supercharge the Yamaha R1 engine I knew I would eventually need an airbox or sometimes called a plenum. I have looked at lots of different options and even splashed out ~ £180 on ready made Pipercross PX600 item only to find it was far too big for the engine bay.
So that left me with the option of having to fabricate something.
Well that turned out to be a lot of work! Perhaps 50-60 hours or more has gone into designing and building the supercharger system. It's been a great learning experience though and I can be proud that it's all my own work. Except for final tig welding that I've outsourced due to not having my own tig welder.
All the parts were tacked together using a mig welder which proved to be messy and constantly jammed. I must invest in a tig welder one day.
Fitting a supercharger was never going to be easy!
The subframe needs extensively modifying in order for the supercharger belt pulley to have sufficient clearance. There was a lot of trial and error to get it right
It has been a long time coming. About 8 years to be exact that I have wanted to purchase a Pro-Motive R1 kit. The day finally arrived on Friday 6th March 2020 when I took delivery of kit No: 125.
An important element of the supercharger conversion is the induction system to ensure cool, clean air is supplied to the supercharger and subsequently to the engine intake. To the best of my knowledge I am developing one of, if not the first supercharger conversions for an R1 powered mini. It's therefore not possible to buy a ready made induction kit off the shelf.
I have been gathering parts over the last couple of months to enable a system to be fabricated. I have also designed my own parts and started having them made or I am making them myself.
How annoying. It turns out there isn't going to be enough space to easily mount the Eaton M45 supercharger I was planning on using so I change of plan was required which brings me to the Aisin AMR 500.
A Thing of Beauty
A lot of progress has been made on the Supercharger conversion since my last update. All of the parts have been machined and the main casing has been treated to a lovely coat of Cerakote, my new favourite discovery.
Having made good progress prototyping a supercharger conversion for the R1 motor, link to last post here I decided I would take the plunge and have the main casing part CNC machined. That proved to be a lot harder than expected. Finding a company willing to quote for the part was difficult. Most just didn't seem interested failing to return emails and calls before I had even disused a price with them.
Fortunately I discovered a guy in Greece who was able to make the part for a reasonable price in a short time frame.