A Thing of Beauty
The remaining parts were machined up by a local engineering company as a favour. Bonus no cost to me. They comprise of;
- Output shaft
- Casing side cush coupler
- Engine side cush coupler
- Cush coupler pins (pressed into the above two parts)
- Pulley adapter to suit the output shaft
The bearing, oil seal and woodruff key were all off the shelf items.
- Bearing - 6204-C3 FAG Open Deep Groove Ball Bearing (20 x 47 x 14mm)
- Oil Seal - R23/TC Double Lip Nitrile Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring (22 x 40 x 7mm)
- Woodruff Key - 16 x 6 x 6mm
The bearing is rated to 17,00 RPM and an open casing was chosen to allow lubrication from the engine. For this same reason I designed a small gap around the shaft assembly and the main casing.
The bearing was fitted to the shaft by gently warming up in the inner race whilst cooling the shaft in the freezer for 10 mins. The same method was used to press on the cush coupler onto the end of the shaft.