I have lost count of how many hours I have spent studying the Yamaha wiring loom. Hopefully it will pay off and I've come up with what should be a viable method of connecting the R1 loom to the Mini ignition/power distribution.
After a few very cold evenings spent in my garage I have just about stripped everything I can from the loom and I have identified all the main components.
Progress with the R1 loom is being made. The picture shows all the wiring I have removed from the loom so far.
Items removed from loom
The huge task of sorting out the Yamaha R1 wiring loom has begun. I've started by removing almost all of the wrap covering the individual wires to make tracing and indentification easier.
The general idea is to identify all of the wires and then start stripping out the circuits that aren't required such as the lighting and horn.
To identify the wires I am using a combination of the official Yamaha wiring diagram along with the Haynes manual version for my 2003 5PW engine.
Once the loom is stripped back to essential circuits I will begin the task of converting it to car use such as disabling the lean sensor.
It has been a few years since I created the first Arduino speedometer and during that time I have improved my Arduino coding a lot as well as now having a 3D printer so I think its time to make some improvements.
Good progress is being made on the supercharger prototype. I managed to get all the custom parts printed up so a test fit was possible. A bearing and oil seal will still need to be fitted but that didn't stop a quick trial fit.
The main components shown here consist of the custom couplers I've designed, a custom shaft and a custom engine casing. I also printed up a cush coupler so I don't damage the one I will be using in the finished product.
Transplanting a Yamaha R1 engine into a classic mini might be a little crazy but wouldn't a supercharged one be even better?!
Following a ride in my friends new Lotus Exige S I couldn't get the idea of having a supercharger out of my head. The noise and torque is so addictive. I started conducting a little research and couldn't find much for inspiration. A company called TTS Performance produce a supercharger kit for later R1's but sadly not for my 2003 5PW engine.
Not letting the lack of off-the-shelf kits get in my way I have set about creating my own! The main obstacle to overcome is finding a way to get drive from the engine to power the supercharger. Sadly the standard R1 engine does not have any external pulleys to use so I needed to come up with a solution.
I can't believe it has been over three years since I updated this blog. How time flies!
I have a lot of updates planned for the site in the coming months. My mini shell is going off to a bodyshop today for a full rebuild, a few minor modifications and a full respray including colour change.
Traffic to the website is healthy despite no updates. My Arduino speedo conversion proves popular so I have an updated version coming with 3D printed internals. I will publish all the files and build instructions.
Finally I am planning on doing more video content. I spend a lot of time watching YouTube content so why not make my own.
Thanks to everyone who continues to visit.