Ever since I decided 2 years ago that I was going to supercharge the Yamaha R1 engine I knew I would eventually need an airbox or sometimes called a plenum. I have looked at lots of different options and even splashed out ~ £180 on ready made Pipercross PX600 item only to find it was far too big for the engine bay.
So that left me with the option of having to fabricate something.
CAD Part 1
I started out with some good old cardboard aided design to work the overall size and shape.
CAD Part 2
Next some proper CAD work was undertaken to create a 3D model of the airbox. The main benefit was to enable me to create DXF files to send off for laser cutting.
My workflow is;
1. Design in Fusion360
2. Export each sketch as DXF
3. Open each sketch in LibreCAD (Opensource) to check layout and add a datum reference measurement.
4. Send DXF's to laser cutting company for a quote
Laser cut parts arrive
Massive thanks to Lasered Componets Limited. The service was exceptional. Prompt and polite emails, fast service, very competitive pricing, excellent packaging and most important of all, quality parts.
Sadly I don't have a TIG welder so the fabrication was achieved using a MIG welder with aluminium welding wire which was fine for tacking. I will be sending off to be TIG'd properly.
Still to do;
1. Add fitting for R1 airbox sensor
2. Add bypass valve
3. Add MAP sensor for boost pressure