A set of used Group 2 arches arrived yesterday that I picked up The Mini Forum for a decent price. They need a repaint but overall the condition is good and I can't wait to see what they look like fitted.
Whilst I am going to the hassle of transplanting a Yamaha R1 engine into the Cooper I thought I would take the opportunity to carry out a few exterior mods. I have always liked the look of MK1's so I thought why not add a few MK1 touches to this mini.
I quick google for inspiration found this picture.
My Mini won't look exactly like this but this is the overall look I am going for.
I am fairly regular user of The Mini Forum and I thought it was about time I updated my signature to reflect the new project and the current car being worked on.
This is what I came up with. Simple but effective.
Saturday - 24/01/15
I spent the majority of the day rolling around under the car disconnecting the gear linkage, engine mounts and exhaust ready to lift out the MPI engine.
I purchased some 1-ton lifting straps from Toolstation that made light work of attaching around the engine. I have previously used a metal bracket bolted to the head studs but the straps were much better and could easily be positioned.
Getting the engine out wasn't too bad. The worse part was disconnecting the drive shafts which I decided to do by keeping the pot joints intact and I levered them out of the gearbox as soon as the engine was high enough.
Once the engine was clear of the car I was able to drop it down onto the floor.
My new shifter arrived for the Yamaha R1 engine I'll soon be installing in the Cooper :-)
I haven't gone into much detail yet about my plans to install a Yamaha R1 engine in the front of the Cooper. I decided to go down this route over Christmas 2014 and a week later I had a 2003 R1 injection engine sitting in my garage.
More to follow....
It has been quite a few years since I carried out any major updates on the old Retromini website so a change was in order. The old site was focussed on my old Mini project which sadly is no more and never saw the roads again.
These past 4-5 years I have been quietly working away carrying out a ground-up restoration of my 1997 Rover Mini Cooper. It was never intended to be a full restoration following an MOT failure but as these things often go, one thing lead to another.....
This new look website will soon display all the hard work I have put into restoring the aforementioned Cooper. I will try and post stuff that I found useful along the way to hopefully make it a little easier for anyone undertaking a similar project.