I have lost count of how many hours I have spent studying the Yamaha wiring loom. Hopefully it will pay off and I've come up with what should be a viable method of connecting the R1 loom to the Mini ignition/power distribution.
R1 Loom Modificaitons
The numbers in brackets are the Yamaha wiring diagram references.
- Thick main red power cable (R1 loom) connected to power distribution block in engine bay that connects to car battery in the boot.
- Red wire from Main Switch (1) connected to position 2 In on Mini ignition. This is currently occupied by a brown wire that is twinned with position 1 In.
- Yellow 2A from Mini ignition connected to Yamaha Brown/Blue Main Switch (1). The yellow currently connects to Fuse B7 (Sunroof) & C9 (Heated Rear Window) on the Mini loom. I will relocate the heated rear window to Fuse B5 (Airbag Control) and change from 10amp to 15amp.
- Blue/Yellow & Blue/Black wires from Main Switch (1) connected together.
- Red/White & Red/Black wires from Engine Stop Switch (59) connected together.
- Blue/Black & Black wires from Side Stand (11) connected together
- Black/Yellow & Blue/Yellow from Clutch Switch (45) extended and connected to new switch attached to Mini clutch pedal. Push-to-make.
- Blue/White & Black from Engine Start Switch (60) extended and connected to new switch inside car. Push-to-make.
- Black/Blue & Yellow/Green from (20) Lean Angle Cut-off Switch joined together with 470Ohm 1/4watt resistor. Lean angle switch removed including connector plug. This stops ECU fault code 41 appearing on the display.
- The Mini ignition switch is turned to position 1 enabling the Auxiliary relay (no change from standard operation).
- Position two enables power from the R1 loom Red wire (1) to connect to the R1 loom Brown/Blue (1) enabling power to the loom.
- Clutch is depressed (45) completing the circuit for the starter cut-off relay (10).
- Start button (60) is pressed connecting to ground to start the engine.
My modified Ignition & Power Distribution Diagram