A Thing of Beauty
A lot of progress has been made on the Supercharger conversion since my last update. All of the parts have been machined and the main casing has been treated to a lovely coat of Cerakote, my new favourite discovery.
Finished Badge in Cerakote
I've always been a big fan of MK1 minis and I particularly liked the early Morris mini bonnet badge shape. My custom badge started out as a Morris badge I purchased over 10 years ago from eBay. I was originally going to fit it as is but the condition wasn't perfect and the addition of a 3D printer to my tools has opened up lots of opportunities to customise.
The starting point
The majority of the running gear was brand new when it was fitted to the car. I had already painted it in black hammerite before fitting it and it hadn't covered any miles under it's own steam. The wear visible is from storage, jacking up and two house move on a car transporter.
This is the final version of my Arduino controlled gear position gauge. I've refined the design over the last couple of years to a point that I was happy to commit to having a printed circuit board manufactured.
In an effort to tie the interior together I have made this carbon fibre switch panel to match the carbon centre speedometer. I used my new CNC machine to engrave the logos and mill the holes accurately.
The logos were created by downloading suitable png icons and converting them to svg's using Inkscape so they could be imported into Fusion360 and used to create tool paths. Once everything was machined I highlighted the logos by applying white enamel and then carefully wiping the excess away.
From left to right, the switches functions are;
- Multi gauge - Used to toggle between different gauge screens and acknowledge/dismiss warnings.
- Heated rear screen
- Rear fog light
- Fan - Manual override to turn the radiator fan on.
Having made good progress prototyping a supercharger conversion for the R1 motor, link to last post here I decided I would take the plunge and have the main casing part CNC machined. That proved to be a lot harder than expected. Finding a company willing to quote for the part was difficult. Most just didn't seem interested failing to return emails and calls before I had even disused a price with them.
Fortunately I discovered a guy in Greece who was able to make the part for a reasonable price in a short time frame.
After the success of milking my own PCB for the DIY exup eliminator I decided I needed a new CNC machine with a larger work area and more precision.
This is my Arduino controlled exup eliminator that will fool the Yamaha R1 ECU into thinking the exup valve is still connected thus preventing error code 17 on appearing on the gauge.
How it works
It has been a lot of work getting to this point. Lots of wires have been stripped out of the loom and modifications made so it can be run in the mini.
The video says it all. It lives!!!!
The fault codes are expected. I don't have an exup, air or water temp sensor connected to the loom.
With the wiring loom modifications mostly complete it was time to offer it up to the engine and get it all the major components hooked up. The plan is to connect it to a battery so I can power up and check everything out and keep an eye on the fault codes if any appear.