Well it's been quite a while since I updated this blog so I thought I'd share what I've been up to. I've made quite a lot of progress with the build which includes starting lots of little sub-projects.
I have recently turned my hand to Arduino which is proving to be both fun to develop and it's opened a whole new world of possibilities.
I started thinking about how I am going to drive the mechanical Smiths speedometer once I have the bike engine installed. The R1 motor uses a digital pulse to drive the standard clocks (which I will be running in the car) but that's no good for the mechanically driven Smiths gauge. An simple post on the Mini Forum resulted in someone suggesting I look at Arduino.
Well fast forward a couple of weeks I have got a prototype code that will take the digital pulse from the R1, count it over a 1 second interval, convert to MPH, convert that to RPM to drive a DC motor connected to Smiths speedo cable to drive the gauge. It's essentially a digital-to-analog converter. I haven't been able to test it properly as I am still waiting for a DC motor to arrive but I will write up in more detail including my calculations and code when it's working.