It consists of a 1.3" OLED mounted inside a re-purposed Smiths oil temp gauge that I picked up on theminiforum.co.uk for £10. I have gone down this route so that the gauge looks "factory" once installed and isn't obvious what it is. It will be installed in my carbon fibre centre binnacle.
Background to the Project
- Classic Mini looks
- Arduino controlled
- Startup logic to check if car in neutral
- Avoid erroneous readings e.g. if holding the gear shift stick for a prolonged period
- Nice clear numbers
- Displays "Smiths" logo on start-up
- Checks if in Neutral and prompts to select if not - this acts as a calibration so the starting point is always Neutral
- Displays N when in Neutral
- Only 1st or 2nd will be displayed if in Neutral - not possible to jump to 3rd accidentally
- Button triggers are de-bounced so only a valid gear change registers
- 1st and 6th are min/max possible numbers to be displayed.
- Neutral is sensed through a voltage divider using input signal from Yamaha R1 neutral wire.
- Numbers are bitmaps images drawn on OLED - this provides greater font and size choice